By: Hank Martin
As our community continues to reel from the orchestrated political chaos during the infamous 2017 “Summer of Hate”, downtown Charlottesville business owners—those who yet remain post Plandemic—are again forced unto the breech of legislative fecklessness. It is necessary to reiterate that which the majority in my generation were keenly aware of, as we grew up with rational and mature elected officials who not only knew this, but practiced it as well.
Public spaces, from parks to streets and neighborhoods, are the lifeblood of any community. They are where people come together, connect, and build bonds that heretofore formed the foundations of a once vibrant Charlottesville. However, the proper functioning of these spaces relies heavily on the support of law enforcement and adherence to local ordinances. When politicians fail to support these crucial elements, the community becomes compromised! Thus leading to a range of issues that affect safety, quality of life, and overall well-being of Charlottesville and her residents.
The Vital Role of Charlottesville’s Public Spaces
Public spaces were once the beating heart of Charlottesville, offering a wide array of benefits:
- Social Cohesion: Charlottesville’s public spaces were historically designed and supported in order to encourage social interactions, thereby fostering a sense of belonging and community cohesion. They were where neighbors become friends and strangers become acquaintances.
- Physical and Mental Health: Access to well-maintained public spaces promotes physical activity and outdoor recreation, contributing to better physical health. They also serve as venues for relaxation and stress relief, nurturing mental well-being. After three years of the ChiCom Virus Plandemic Lockdown, that importance is even more defined.
- Economic Prosperity: Thriving public spaces attract visitors and businesses, boosting local economies. Events in these areas often generate income for small vendors and stimulate the local job market..
The Role of Politicians
Charlottesville City Council, as elected representatives of the community, bear the responsibility of ensuring that public spaces function optimally and that residents can enjoy the benefits they provide. Their role includes:
- Creating and Enforcing Local Ordinances: The Charlottesville City Council plays a pivotal role in creating, updating, and enforcing local ordinances that govern public spaces. These ordinances cover issues like noise control, safety, park hours, and proper use of public facilities. When those representatives react in a knee-jerk fashion, haphazardly jettisoning the operational ordinances that were traditionally enforced, they create both chaos and set precedent for future reactions by the less disciplined of the public.
- Allocating Resources: The Charlottesville City Council controls budgetary allocations, ensuring that sufficient funds are directed toward the maintenance, improvement, and safety of public spaces.
- Supporting Law Enforcement: The Charlottesville City Council must provide support for law enforcement to ensure the safety and security of public areas. This includes adequate staffing, and resources for police officers.
The Consequences of Political Neglect
With the failure of the Charlottesville City Council to support law enforcement and local ordinances concerning public spaces, Charlottesville becomes compromised in several ways:
- Safety Concerns: The Charlottesville City Council’s failed support for the Charlottesville Police Department post 2017 has already brought an increase of crime and a perception of insecurity in public spaces, discouraging residents from using these areas.
- Quality of Life Issues: Charlottesville City Council has visited this issue once before, back in 2011 with “Occupy Charlottesville” assuming control of Lee Park for nearly two months. Neglect of local ordinances directly lead to issues such as noise pollution, littering, vandalism, rape and sexual assault, public nudity, and public defecation and urination. An all-around improper use of public facilitiesdiminished the quality of life for both residents and local business owners.
- Economic Decline: Declining public spaces deter visitors and businesses, leading to a drop in property values and reduced economic opportunities in the area. Concurrently, the city continues to raise taxes and real estate values, effectively squeezing-out many who’ve lived here for generations.
- Community Disintegration: All of this culminates in the overall decline of Charlottesville, perhaps the very aim for all of these flagrant and anti-American actions, for without the social bonds formed in public spaces, communities can become fragmented and isolated, weakening the social fabric that holds them together, rendering them vulnerable to plunder.
The Way Forward: Political Accountability
To prevent the continuing compromise of Charlottesville, due to the neglect of public spaces, citizens must hold politicians accountable. This can be achieved through:
- Engagement: Active engagement with local government, attending City Council meetings, and participating in community initiatives can ensure that politicians prioritize public spaces.
- Advocacy: Citizens can advocate for the allocation of resources to maintain and improve public spaces, as well as the enforcement of local ordinances.
- Voting: When casting votes in local elections, residents should consider candidates’ positions on public spaces and their willingness to support law enforcement and local ordinances.
Charlottesville’s public spaces were once its lifeblood and its vitality depended on the support of elected leaders. When Charlottesville City Council fails to prioritize law enforcement and local ordinances in these areas, Charlottesville becomes compromised, leading to safety concerns, quality of life issues, economic decline, and social disintegration. Again, this is the self-evident goal as the Charlottesville City Council’s words and its actions are forever irreconcilable.
It is imperative that local business owners and citizens actively engage with local government, advocate for their interests, and hold Charlottesville City Council accountable to ensure that public spaces continue to thrive and act as both a benefit and a catalyst for the community at large.
A walk in the park should always remain a cherished and safe experience for every member of our local community.